1. If you’re prepared and you know what it takes, it’s not a risk. You just have to figure out how to get there. There is always a way to get there.
2. Wherever I see people doing something the way it’s always been done, the way it’s ‘supposed’ to be done, following the same old trends, well, that’s just a big red flag to me to go look somewhere else.
3. I still work hard to know my business. I’m continuously looking for ways to improve all my companies, and I’m always selling. Always.”
4. It is so much easier to be nice, to be respectful, to put yourself in your customers’ shoes and try to understand how you might help them before they ask for help, than it is to try to mend a broken customer relationship.
5. It’s not in the dreaming, it’s in the doing.
6. I look at my annual budgets for everything and anything, and I look to see where I can save the most money on those items. Saving 30% to 50% buying in bulk – replenishable items from toothpaste to soup, or whatever I use a lot of – is the best guaranteed return on investment you can get anywhere.
7. Learn to sell. In business you’re always selling – to your prospects, investors and employees. To be the best salesperson put yourself in the shoes of the person to whom you’re selling. Don’t sell your product. Solve their problems.
8. One thing we can all control is effort. Put in the time to become an expert in whatever you’re doing. It will give you an advantage because most people don’t do this.
9. Don’t get caught up in how many hours you work. Judge success based on having goals and measuring your results. Hard work, and lots of it, is certainly needed, but focus on what you get done.
10. Don’t start a company unless it’s an obsession and something you love. If you have an exit strategy, it’s not an obsession.
11. Always wake up with a smile knowing that today you are going to have fun accomplishing what others are too afraid to do.
12. Most people think it’s all about the idea. It’s not. EVERYONE has ideas. The hard part is doing the homework to know if the idea could work in an industry, then doing the preparation to be able to execute on the idea.